Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Future airport dog




My wife and I just adopted a 7 month old Pointer mix puppy. Little does he know that he's about to become, among other things, an airport dog. Not as a full time canine job though. More along the lines of being there on days when the 6 ft. hangar rat (me) feels the need to tinker with the plane and/or improve/clean/whatever around the hangar. On such occasions, our new pooch will get to come along so he can learn the finer points of hanging out at the airport. I have a feeling that so long as I bring a tennis ball, some doggie treats, water bowl, and a comfy blanket to lay down on, he'll be perfectly happy.

Every airport needs an airport dog...or cat for that matter. When you shut down near the fuel pumps or tie up in transient parking then walk into the FBO, there should be an airport dog there to greet you with a friendly wag of the tail. It's like icing on the cake after a trip to a distant airport.

Once while stopping for gas in Siskiyou County, CA for gas, I'd filled the plane then while walking into the FBO building, noticed that somebody had been watching me. I don't recall the breed but the pooch looked at me, wagged his tail, and figured I must be ok. Either that or the fact that I bought some 100ll kept him from attacking :-) His price: a couple minutes of scratching his ears and neck. I walk into the FBO and repeat the same process with the airport cat. You gotta love general aviation.

I walk back outside and the dog is now laying in the shadow created by the fuselage. Obviously, he's guarding the plane for me. A little coaxing and I get him to move so that I can start up and be on my way. Yep, every airport needs an airport dog. I figure our latest addition to the family is my way of carrying on this time honored tradition of general aviation.

2 comments:

Neil said...

Oh yes. When the day comes that I am able to buy an aircraft of my own, I beleive the purchasing process will go something like....
Airplane..
Hanger..
Dog.

No doubt about it : )

Jack said...

The order I went with:
1) Partners
2) Airplane
3) Hangar
4) Dog

Next on the list
5) Fridge for hangar

We pickup the dog tonight. I'm sure he'll visit the hangar for the first time pretty soon (a future post).