Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Oshkosh countdown

In a couple of days, I depart for Oshkosh. I'm going via aluminum tube vs. the Arrow this year. Not nearly as exciting but way more cost effective given a Left Coast departure.











My camping gear is packed into a huge 18"x36" duffel bag with some room to spare. New REI backpacking tent and sleeping pad included. Life in the North-40 should be dry and comfortable.

One very cool thing is that I should be able to arrive at Oshkosh the right way, in a Cessna Skylane. Well, ok, "the right way" is in a certain '71 Piper Arrow but I'll take a Cessna 182 arrival vs. bus/van/car any day. I lucked out as a friend is planning to pick me up in Chicago and we'll then fly to Oshkosh. How cool is that? Definitely the next best thing to actually flying there in my own plane.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jack
Glad to hear you'll be going in a Skylane for the last leg. There is something really exhilarating to hear them call out "White Blue Skylane, Rock your wings". .The Ripon arrival is a rite of passage, or it was for me.
Best,
Jon

Jack said...

Yeah, having done the OSH arrival four out of five times that I've been there, it's something that makes the experience all the more real. This will be my first right seat OSH arrival but that's ok, it's still way better than arriving any other way.