Saturday, September 06, 2008

Midwest/East coast trip, day 7

Day 7, New England Air Museum, Windsor Locks, CT.

This is air museum #3 for the trip and it was a good one with many fine examples restored and living indoors.







My Personal favorite, an F105 greets you as you walk in the first hangar. Unfortunately, there are so many aircraft (as if that can ever be a bad thing) that you can't get a good shot of this F105. It's definitely one of the best examples I've seen, on par with the one at the Air Force Museum in Dayton.






My favorite nose art, on a great looking B29.













I had not seen an example of this particular B25 model. It was a 75 mm cannon mounted in the nose, along with four .50 caliber machine guns.










Overall, this was a great museum to spend a few hours wandering around. There is also an audio tour available which I would suspect is worth it. Unfortunately, I didn't realize the audio tour was available. I missed the big banner above the entry to the first hangar and didn't realize the significance of the numbered exhibits until it was too late.

I would definitely put this one on the "must see" list. If you fly into KBDL, I'd recommend paying the extra $$$ for gas at Signature in exchange for using a crew car for getting to/from the museum. They've treated us like we're flying a corporate jet even pulling our Arrow into their hangar without us requesting it (and not charging us for it).

No comments: