Sunday, October 21, 2007

New prop, one less AD & great customer service

This past December, I was lamenting our options in dealing with AD 2006-18-15, the repetitive eddy current inspections on our Hartzell prop hub. Our prop had been through three overhauls and it likely would not have made it through one more (prop shop did some measurements while on the plane and it was a matter of how thick the paint was as to whether or not it could go through another overhaul).

We considered repetitive inspections as well as priced out our options for 2-blade replacement props. We'd ruled out 3-blade options mostly due to the increased cost. After posting about it on Usenet, I received an e-mail from Kevin R. at Hartzell telling me about their 40% discount on a replacement prop and hub. As it turns out, this was about $1400 less than what a local prop shop had quoted me for a 2-blade McCauley prop & hub. My partners and I pondered the options and decided to go with the Hartzell option.


This past week we had the prop installed and it looks and works just fine. Yea for us! AD 2006-18-15 has been terminated. One thing I wanted to mention is the great customer service response from Hartzell. I'd been a little soured on them due to a pretty lame response to my questions of their guy at their booth during the 2006 AOPA expo. My experience in dealing with Hartzell for the replacement prop, however, dramatically turned my opinion around. Kevin provided all of the information for ordering the prop as well as answering a bunch of questions about returning the old prop. It was a very positive interaction and in the end, we received exactly what we were looking for at a substantial discount.

No comments: